Membership approves revised bylaws for 2017
The Rancho Bernardo Inn Women’s Golf Club Bylaws were updated and approved by membership at the August 2016 General meeting. The revised bylaws became effective as of January 1, 2017.
ARTICLE I NAME
The name of this organization shall be the Rancho Bernardo Inn Women’s Golf Club.
ARTICLE II PURPOSE AND OBJECTIVE
The purpose and objective of this organization shall be to promote, supervise and conduct competitive golf for amateur women golfers, in accordance with the Rules of Golf adopted by the Women’s Committee of the United States Golf Association (USGA), as modified by local rules decided upon by the Board of Directors.
ARTICLE III MEMBERSHIP
Section 1. Active membership is open to amateur women golfers, minimum age 18, who agree to abide by the rules of the Rancho Bernardo Inn Women’s Golf Club.
Section 2. All members should have basic knowledge of the USGA Rules of Golf.
Section 3. All members should be willing and able to maintain speed of play for 18 holes.
Section 4. All members should be willing to keep their own score accurately and post all golf scores.
Section 5. Membership in the Women’s Golf Club is required in order to participate in weekly Sweeps and/or Special Tournaments.
Section 6. Membership dues are payable annually by October 31st.
Section 7. No eligible golfer shall be denied membership because of her race, creed, color, religion or sexual orientation.
Section 8. The Board of Directors shall have the power to review all membership applications and elect to membership such persons as they deem advisable. After all dues and fees are paid, the new member may participate in all club events for which she is eligible.
Section 9. New Member Qualification
To qualify for membership in the Rancho Bernardo Inn Women’s Golf Club, applicants must complete the following procedures:
1. Fill out a membership application and submit it to the Membership Chair.
2. Have a valid USGA handicap and GHIN (Golf Handicap and Information Network) number, or other generally accepted verification of handicap. Maximum allowable handicap for new members is 38 (equals a 36.5 USGA index).
3. Play one round of golf at RBI with a RBIWGC Board member or committee chair. The Membership Chair will then present the new member’s name to the Board for approval. Once approved, membership dues will be collected.
4. Play a minimum of five (5) games at the Rancho Bernardo Inn course on Ladies Day with current members. At least one (1) of the games will be played with a Board member. There is a three-month maximum qualification period.
To qualify for membership, the prospective new member will be expected to achieve an average score of 109 or less for five (5) games played. If more than five (5) games are needed to achieve the 109 scoring average, only the five (5) lowest scores necessary to meet the 109 average will be submitted to obtain a GHIN number. All scorecards must be dated, attested and signed by two Club playing partners, marked “HQ” for Handicap Qualifier and given to the Handicap Chair.
After the prospective new member completes five (5) games with an average score of 109 or less, the Membership Chair will present the new member’s name to the Board for approval. Once approved, membership dues will be collected, and the Handicap Chair will submit the name of the new member to the San Diego County Women’s Golf Association (SDCWGA). When a new member receives her GHIN number, the scores of all future golf games must be posted to the GHIN website, to www.sdcwga.org, or on the computer at the Pro Shop to maintain an accurate handicap. This includes all games, no matter where played or with whom. (Please see the USGA Handicap System Reference Guide for more information).
While playing with a Club member, prospective qualifying members are NOT eligible for Sweeps, Special Tournaments or prizes until a valid handicap has been established and scoring requirements are met. If the scoring requirements are not achieved within three (3) months, the prospective member may try again after a three-month hiatus, on Ladies Day at RBI. She is encouraged to continue practice to improve and try to qualify again.
Section 10. Member Conduct and Responsibilities
All members are expected to follow the USGA Rules of Golf and abide by all the conditions, rules and regulations of the Club, as well as accept and enforce the decisions of the Board of Directors.
1. Rules or Conduct Violations
a. If a rule infraction is brought to the attention of any Board member, the Rules Chair will review with the member the rule(s) involved and advise the member of the correct course of play that should have been taken.
b. A warning letter from the Board will be sent to the member for repeated misapplication of the basic rules.
c. A member refusing or neglecting strict and honorable compliance with the rules and regulations of the Club will result in action by the Board. A written letter of reprimand will be sent to the member outlining the unacceptable behavior. In extremely egregious cases, suspension of playing privileges or expulsion of the member could occur.
d. No member shall be suspended or expelled without formal written charges having been presented to the Board of Directors. The said member shall have an opportunity to defend herself before the Board.
2. Speed of Play
a. The Club expects its members to be willing and able to maintain speed of play for 18 holes. Four and one-half hours is considered sufficient time to play the RBI course.
b. A warning will be given to habitually slow players. Repeat offenders will be asked to play at the end of the field.
ARTICLE IV SPECIAL TOURNAMENTS
Section 1. Major Tournaments will include the Club Championship and President’s Cup.
- The Club Championship is stroke play – gross score.
- The President’s Cup is stroke play – net score.
To be eligible, a participant must have participated in at least six (6) weekly events during the preceding six (6) months in Club-sponsored play. The participants must complete these requirements two (2) weeks prior to the tournament. Exceptions may be made only due to medical and/or extenuating circumstances as determined by the Board.
In the event of a tie in the Club Championship, a three-hole, sudden-death playoff, commencing on holes 18, 10 and 11, will be used. If there is no winner after the first three holes are played, the same format will be repeated until a winner is determined.
In the event of a tie in the President’s Cup, a three-hole aggregate net score, commencing on holes 18, 10 and 11, will be used. If the score is still tied, a three-hole, sudden-death playoff, using net scores and commencing on holes 18, 10 and 11, will be used until a winner is determined.
Section 2. Up to two (2) additional Special Tournaments may be conducted during the year at the discretion of the Special Tournament Chair and approval by the Board.
ARTICLE V OFFICERS/BOARD OF DIRECTORS
Section 1. The elected officers of the Club shall consist of the President, Vice-President, Secretary, Treasurer, and the Chairs of Sweeps, Handicap, Membership, Rules and Special Tournaments.
Section 2. The committee chairs appointed by the President shall be County Delegate, Ringer and Invitational. The President should appoint these committee chairs prior to the upcoming new calendar year.
Section 3. The Board of Directors shall consist of the elected officers of the Club and non-voting, appointed committee chairs.
Section 4. Term of office shall be one (1) year. No member may hold any one office for more than two (2) consecutive years, or be a voting member of the Board of Directors for more than four (4) consecutive years.
Section 5. All vacancies in office, except that of President, shall be filled by appointment by the President with the approval of the Board of Directors. If a vacancy is in the office of President, the Vice-President will become President.
Section 6. Members are eligible to assume office after they have been active playing members for six (6) months.
Section 7. The duties and responsibilities of the officers and Board members shall be:
The President shall:
- Preside at all meetings of the Club and Board of Directors.
- Call and/or cancel regular and special meetings.
- Appoint Ringer, Invitational and County Delegate Committee Chairs.
- Appoint and discharge special committees. In the case of a Bylaws Committee, three (3) committee members should be selected for a minor review, five (5) committee members for a major review.
- Be empowered to sign checks in the absence or inability of the Treasurer.
- Appoint a Parliamentarian, if the need arises.
- Be an ex-officio member of all committees except the Nominating Committee.
The Vice-President shall:
- In the absence or disability of the President, perform the duties prescribed for the President.
- Arrange for a room to hold Board and General meetings and notify Board members and membership.
- Serve as Social Chair and perform other duties designated by the Board of Directors.
The Secretary shall:
- Record and keep minutes of the Board of Directors meetings and General meeting, submitting one copy of each to the President, and filing one copy of each in the Book of Minutes.
- Conduct the correspondence of the Club at the direction of the President and Board of Directors.
- Keep a current listing of all Club members’ e-mail addresses.
The Treasurer shall:
- Receive and be accountable for all monies and make all disbursements at the direction of the Board of Directors.
- Keep an itemized account of all transactions of the Club and render a monthly report at the Board and General meetings. A written report shall be submitted to the President and Secretary.
- Sign all checks. In the absence or disability of the Treasurer, checks and record keeping become the responsibility of the President until a new Treasurer is appointed.
- Have the books audited at the termination of each club year by an auditor to be appointed by the Board of Directors.
The Sweeps Chair shall:
- Schedule and supervise all weekly tournaments.
- With the approval of the Board of Directors, prepare and post a calendar of events for the Club year.
- Keep complete records of all competitive golfing events, including money paid in or out for prizes.
- Post results of all Club events on the bulletin board in a timely manner.
- Supervise the purchase and distribution of prizes and awards.
- Determine Ace-of-the-Year eligibility.
- Schedule and chair the Holiday Tournament.
- Award a pin to any member who breaks 100, 90 or 80 for the first time on an official Ladies’ Day or any Special Club Tournament.
The Handicap Chair shall:
- Be responsible for verifying and auditing handicaps in accordance with rules and regulations of the USGA.
- Post handicap reports for all members of the Club, bi-monthly.
- Perform duties in accordance with SDCWGA requirements.
- Determine the member who has improved her handicap the most, according to the USGA formula used by the San Diego County Women’s Golf Association, and award this player the Most Improved Player Award at the Holiday party.
The Membership Chair shall:
- Schedule prospective new member(s) to play with a Board member prior to acceptance in the Club.
- Present prospective new member(s) to the Board for membership approval.
- Receive all fees required for membership and transfer such monies to the Treasurer.
- Notify Handicap Chair of all new and/or transferred members.
- Maintain an up-to-date roster of members and distribute a copy to each Board member.
- Meet with each new member to go over RBIWGC rules and procedures. Provide a new-member packet and a roster to all new members.
- Maintain and update the membership application as necessary and see that application forms are always available in the Pro Shop.
- Arrange for the printing of the Club roster each year.
The Rules Chair shall:
- Enforce all rules of the USGA, including the etiquette of golf.
- Answer any questions regarding local and ground rules, tournament rules and rules of golf.
- Prior to a tournament, post any regulations as requested by the Tournament Chair.
- In the General meetings, be prepared to discuss rules with the general membership and to answer any questions from the members regarding rules or etiquette.
- Select a Rules Committee. The committee should consist of two club members, besides the Rules Chair, whose duty is to assist in rule interpretation, answer questions or settle any disputes in the Rules Chair’s absence.
The Special Tournaments Chair shall:
- In coordination with the Sweeps Chair and the RBIWGC Board, plan a calendar of events for the coming year.
- With the approval of the Board of Directors, prepare and post a calendar of the special tournaments for the Club year.
- Supervise and keep complete records of all Special Tournament event results.
- Post names and scores of all winners of special events during the week following completion of the event.
- Purchase and distribute prizes and awards for Major Tournaments and have the trophies engraved. Funds for the Major and Special Tournament trophies will be expensed out of the General Fund account.
- Have the authority to reschedule the tournaments in case of inclement weather or adverse course conditions.
Committee Chairs Appointed by the President:
The Ringer Chair shall:
- Collect money from each member who wishes to enter the quarterly Ringer competition.
- Keep the necessary hole-by-hole statistics for those members participating in Ringer.
- Just prior to the end of the quarter, determine the winners for each flight.
- Distribute the prize money at the General meeting to the winners at the end of the quarter.
- Provide the Secretary with a listing of the results for inclusion in the General meeting minutes.
The County Delegate shall:
- Attend scheduled club delegate meetings at the San Diego County Women’s Golf Association.
- Be the liaison between the Club and the parent organization.
- Receive and announce correspondence from the SDCWGA.
- Keep the President and Board of Directors, as well as membership, advised on all SDCWGA activities and tournaments.
The Invitational Chair shall:
- Organize and supervise all aspects of the Annual Invitational Tournament.
- Report to the Board periodically the status of the tournament’s progress and the final results.
The Board of Directors shall:
- Have charge of the affairs and funds of the Rancho Bernardo Inn Women’s Golf Club; be empowered to transact all business and affairs of the Club in accordance with the Bylaws and report action taken to the membership.
- Attend all meetings of the Rancho Bernardo Inn Women’s Golf Club, and hold a minimum of eight (8) Board meetings a year at the discretion of the President.
ARTICLE VI NOMINATION AND ELECTION OF OFFICERS
Section 1. The Nominating Committee shall consist of five (5) members. One (1) member shall be elected from the Board of Directors; one (1) member shall be elected from the general membership by the Board of Directors; and three (3) members shall be elected by the members of the Club at the General meeting in August. Nominees must be active members in the last six (6) months and have consented to serve on the committee. No member shall serve more than two (2) consecutive years on the Nominating Committee.
Section 2. The Nominating Committee shall elect its Chair.
Section 3. The Nominating Committee shall verify availability and willingness of potential candidates to serve as Board members.
Section 4. Said committee shall prepare a slate of candidates for elective office and post the slate on the bulletin board at least seven (7) days prior to the September General meeting.
Section 5. Nominations for each office may be made from the floor at the September meeting provided that the person making the nomination has obtained prior consent of the nominee.
Section 6. If there is more than one nominee for any office, there shall be a written ballot.
Section 7. Election shall be held at the October General meeting. Newly elected officers shall assume their duties after the installment meeting in December.
ARTICLE VII MEETINGS
General meetings of the membership shall be held once a month at the discretion of the President. A minimum of eight (8) General meetings should be held during the calendar year.
ARTICLE VIII AMENDMENTS
These Bylaws or any part thereof may be repealed or amended, or new Bylaws adopted at any General meeting by a two-thirds vote of the members present, provided that (1) the proposed amendment or Bylaw has been announced at the previous General meeting and (2) a quorum has been obtained at the voting meeting.
A quorum at any regular or special meeting of the Board of Directors shall consist of five (5) or more Directors.
A quorum at any regular or special meeting of the membership shall consist of thirty-five percent (35%) or more members.
ARTICLE IX RULES OF ORDER
Robert’s Rules of Order (Revised) shall be the authority in all questions of parliamentary procedure not covered by these Bylaws.