Golfers win prizes at 2018 RBIWGC Invitational
Sixteen of the 36 foursomes participating in the 2018 Rancho Bernardo Inn Women’s Golf Club Invitational on May 15 won team awards, and six golfers won prizes for their individual on-course expertise.
For more coverage of the tournament, please click here.
Format for the tournament was four-person team modified waltz. Scoring required that each team use the one best score of the foursome on par 5s, the two best scores of the foursome on par 4s, and the three best scores of the foursome on par 3s. The 16 groups that tallied a win in gross or net scoring across four flights were:
- First place gross: Molly Jo Miller, Sue Richardson, Camille Medina and Stef Olow
- Second place gross: Dorothea Sledge, Sonja Stevenson, Linda Kueny and Pat Godfrey
- First place net: Sallie Britzman, Melissa McBratney, Elaine Michaels and Cheryl Wohlgemuth
- Second place net: Romona Smith, Pat Bakke, Barb Kleber and Connie Lihme
- First place gross: Mary Jollon, Barbara Daggett, Sue Clark and Karen Brainard
- Second place gross: Berith Engstrom, Linda Brown, Carol Brownlee and Midge Zarling
- First place net: Tomoko Harper, Judy Brauchia, Mary Smigliani and Sue Soracco
- Second place net: Christie Smiley, Mary Bradstreet, Sandyi Campbell and Rose Hall
- First place gross: Fran Maxfield, Theresa McGuire, Jane Ellett and Jocelyn Kraus
- Second place gross: Verna Nickel, Jo Bell, Margie Glover and Rudi Toman
- First place net: Hilary Quinn, Nemira Stauskas, Linda Howell and Teresa Swanson
- Second place net: Susan Mercer, Nellie Madrid, Jan Cottle and Maureen Herzber
- First place gross: Diane Borden, Jo Ann Trick, Sue Rowe and Pat Lafser
- Second place gross: Mavany Verdugo, Pam Walker, Dorothy Selvaggio and Vivian Weiss
- First place net: Mary Jo Rice, Diana Bolander, Goldie Crawford and Kitty Seymour
- Second place net: Donna Dahl, Lynn McCarter, Kathy Auten and Karen Miller
- Closest to pin on No. 2: Linda Kueny
- Closest to pin on No. 4: Connie Lihme
- Closest to pin on No. 11: Sara Mills
- Closest to pin on No. 13: Sallie Britzman
- Longest drive on No. 12: Melissa McBratney
- Straightest drive on No. 8: Berith Engstrom
- Premier sponsor: Nancy Brokaw, AAMS (financial adviser, Edward Jones)
- Goodie-bag sponsors: First Aid Home Repair; GOLFTEC (Suzanne LaTour), Molly Maid, Pure Motion Fitness (Kevin Moses), and the Center for Dermagraphics (Barbara McCoy)
- Hole-in-one sponsor: Linda R. Freemott (associate, RE/MAX Associates)
Tee-box sponsors: Kathy Auten; Pat Bakke; Alan J. Beilstein (State Farm agent, two tee boxes); Bernardo West Chiropractic (Hee, D.C., Oslance, D.C.); Circle of Health (Monique Van Aslst, LMT/BS); Caroline Dixon; Family First Chiropractic & Wellness Center; Gilbert Fimbres (VP & CFO, San Ysidro Health); Linda Freemott (associate, RE/MAX Associates); Pat Fuller (Mission Realty Group); Glaser & Bailey Awards, Inc.; GOLFTEC (Suzanne LaTour); Tessa Hurley; David “Opportunity” Knox (Realtor, RC Realty of San Diego); Mickey McBratney (Berkshire Hathaway Home Services); Hilary Quinn; Sheryl Rowling (principal, CPA/PFS, Rowling & Associates); Romona Smith; Karen Stelman (Let’s Light The Cross); Michael J. Stelman (PSS Partners LLC); and Workplace Services, Inc.
Golf prizes: JC Golf donated several rounds of golf as prizes, including one round of golf for four at each of its eight courses: Encinitas Ranch, Rancho Bernardo Inn, Twin Oaks, Carmel Mountain Ranch, Oaks North, The Crossings, Welk Resorts and Reidy Creek. Both the Country Club of Rancho Bernardo and Maderas Golf Club donated a round of golf for four. Maderas also donated a $100 gift card. Rancho Bernardo Inn donated a one-night stay for two, as well as dinner for two at The Veranda and dinner for two at the Avant. Golf instructor Lori Brock (Stadium Golf) contributed one free half-hour lesson, and instructor Patty Penn (Oaks North) contributed two free hour-long lessons.
Business donors: Many businesses also donated prizes, including Cre8shuns by Lillian, Which Wich, Barrel Room, Ellie’s Tailoring/Alteration, Akai Hana, Town Center Cleaners, Starbuck’s, Aaron Brothers, Worldwide Golf Shops, King’s Fish House, Lazy Dog, BJ’s Restaurant, Urge American Gastropub, Unicorn Jewelers, Black Angus Steakhouse, Carvers Steak House, Touch of Class Car Wash, Outback, Athens Market Café, The Godfather Restaurant, The Golf Mart, Rehab United, massage therapist Dan Westfall, artist Haydee Candelario, Brigantine Seafood & Oyster Bar, Rancho Bernardo Jewelry, Fine Art Photography by Randall Ranger, Diane Carty from Arch Health Partners, Casa de Bandini, Guadalajara, and Casa Soly Mar.
RBIWGC tournaments draw members, non-members
The Rancho Bernardo Inn Women’s Golf Club sponsors two major, members-only tournaments each year:
- The Club Championship is a two-day tournament and is scheduled for June 4 and June 11 in 2019. Format is stroke play, gross score.
- The President’s Cup is a two-day tournament and is scheduled for November 5 and November 12 in 2019. Format is stroke play, net score.
Up to two additional special tournaments may be conducted during the year at the discretion of the Special Tournaments Chair and approved by the Board of Directors. For 2019, the Board approved the addition of these two tournaments:
- Modified Stableford, which is scheduled for March 19 and March 26.
- Solheim Cup, which is scheduled for August 6 and August 13.
In addition, the Club hosts an Invitational tournament each May. A full field of amateur women golfers from throughout Southern California participates in this premier event each year. The 2019 Invitational is scheduled for Tuesday, May 14. The theme will be, “Swingin’ Safari.”
See complete results of the 2018 Invitational above. For a report about the tournament, please click here.
To view the full 2019 RBIWGC calendar, please click here.